Beta NTW3

Re: Beta NTW3

Postby [N]Pints of Guinness » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:27 am

Sounds very interesting indeed can't wait.
[N]Pints of Guinness

Postby [N]Sloop » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:11 am

For historical accuracy is is a good idea to narrow the units to a particular year as the armies of 1805 were different by 1815.

Regardless of the playability (win factor) of a faction I prefer that historical accuracy takes precedence over factional balance. The cost factor will aide in the balance between the factions.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Sloop » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:14 am

It would be interesting to have access to multiple orders of battle for each faction. This would add more overall historical accuracy in the battles. For example a player must choose one of the faction's "pre-set" OOBs from the available pool. These OOBs would represent the historical organizations that would have been present at the time. Players would choose their pre-set "brigade" or perhaps teams could choose a pre-set "division." This concept would of course be separate from the mod and the OOBs simply be posted online. This system could be created now even with vanilla but no need to bother until the mod is complete. Anyway, just an Idea.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Avon Ulysses » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:45 am

Sloops idea of preset OOBs appeals to me.
These would work best along with the scenario ideas already discussed in other threads.
If you are going to start attempting to do 'historical' (semi anyway) army set-ups we would have to look into what the units in the game are to represent.

I have always thought of them as Infantry battalions, cavalry regiments & artillery batteries.
This implies a scaling factor in the game.
It is easy to argue that such a factor already exists, with the distances.

i.e. maximum range with muskets is 75/80 (metres or yards I presume). Real musket range, for massed volleys at clumped targets, 200m or even more. Though obviously they are much more effective at closer range.
Maximum cannon range 500-600. Real range at least a thousand yards (with canister usable at 400+) heavy guns could bounce it 50% further.
So it seams a 1:2 scale is in effect for range.

If you apply this to the troops the scale should be the square of this (as its area not distance with standing room) so 1:4., where guns that are very linier when deployed (& much more spread out than the game graphics imply)
I suggest a 1:5 for infantry & cavalry & 1:2 for guns.

This also produces realistic sized battalions with the unit sizes as is.
123x5 = 615, the size of a full strength battalion for many nations, a little under strength for others. But units were rarely at full strength anyway.
The batteries fit in well too, based on what I’ve already posted.
On this theory 20 slots is enough for a couple of divisions worth of troops.
'Illegitimi non carborundum'

[N]Avon Ulysses
Officer

Postby [N]Pints of Guinness » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:11 pm

OOB's sound very interesting indeed and would be perfect for scenario battles.

That ratio seems very reasonable Avon. As far as I know its possible to adjust the sizes of individual units so you could scale units to their more historical sizes.
[N]Pints of Guinness

Postby [N]Pints of Guinness » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Maybe this is a crazy idea but I was thinking what if the Army of Guard was essentially its own faction. So that the guard units of the french army were contained within a single roster, similar to Company of Heroes in the way the German forces are split into the Wermacht and the Panzer. I think this might be a little more historical because the guard didn't really operate in small small companies it was usually deployed in brigades when used. Obviously this would require a bit balancing but it could make things a little more interesting. That or we simply play where one general in a team game gets control of the Guard.
[N]Pints of Guinness

Previous

Return to Napoleonic Total War 3