Visibility

For introductions and general discussions

Visibility

Postby [N]Sloop » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:54 am

Sirs,

Let the mods be visible in the lobby!

Why did CA/Sega deny modded games from being displayed to the vanilla masses?

Hiding modded games from the public view reduces their exposure and they must do this because of greed, ego, or embarrassment.

Greed:
The powers that be hope NTW will not live on, that it will not have an extended life through the mods because they hope players will spend their money on the next Total War POS that comes along.

Ego:
It is amazing that a massive team of high paid "experts" can produce a POS for a high price, and then a dedicated group of enthusiasts can turn it in to a masterpiece for free! Our community doesn't notice because someone else has fixed CA's mistakes. The fact that the marketing apparatus was in place to insure NTW was a standard is a matter of money and marketing, not development and dedication. I must say that at least we have a corporation to ensure the proliferation of the system. After all, without this corporate entity we would not have our game. Still, their original product sucks.

Embarrassment:
I hope this is the reason that modded games are kept from the public eye because at least they realize that they must protect their reputations and try to look good in public. Imagine if the Lordz modded game was seen by all in the lobby, then eventually many would try it and would be converted. Most Napoleonic armatures are well versed in the history, apparently more so than those who attempted to create NTW. Too bad the creators hide their mistakes from the public by not allowing modded games to be displayed in the lobby.

As much as CA, Steam, and Sega want NTW to die, I wish they would allow mods to be seen in the lobby.

Marshal Sloop
Chief of Staff
[N]
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Re: Visibility

Postby [N]Jerniga » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Love the post Sloop!!! Very thoughtful. :greetings:
[N]Jerniga

Postby [N]Sloop » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 am

I just realized how awsome it would be to see all the other mods besides NTW3 also being played, the lobby would probably double in games visable.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Clinch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:39 am

There are no other mods being played in mp. Anyways, I've got some simple ideas to attract some attention. I'll be on Friday and Saturday.
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]Sloop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:50 am

[N]Clinch wrote:There are no other mods being played in mp. Anyways, I've got some simple ideas to attract some attention. I'll be on Friday and Saturday.
But what about the voted #1 greatest mod, that WW1 game that got all the attention? And the Darth mods, etc?
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Sloop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:03 am

I used to do this on a regular basis;

If we all logged into Vanilla and made the name of the games "Thelordz.org" and left our PC's on 24/7 then we could get the word out to the Vanilla MP lobby. If there were five or ten games up it would be like a road signs on the way to Vegas, everyone would take notice. Use with non-vanilla maps to entice their curiosity. Fullin could design an advertisement map named "Try Realistic NTW3" or "Only Noobs Play Vanilla."
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Clinch » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:57 am

But as soon as you added a new map it would be "modded" and thus not visible. Darth Mod is single player (why do you think is so popular) and I doubt many people p[lay the great war mp. The BEST way to get people in here is through videos posted on TWC. Ive made a couple boring videos and have heard numerous new people that I didnt even know (I think General of the State was one) tell me that they watched my video and found NTW3.
[N]Clinch
Officer

Return to The Tavern