Fundamentals Of Engagement

For introductions and general discussions

Fundamentals Of Engagement

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Engagement Fundamentals

The addition of many new players in the community with their relatively ineffective abilities concerning multiplayer (as well as some not so new player’s ineffective abilities), has led me to post my thoughts concerning the more important aspects of multiplayer battles. I wish to open a dialogue that may assist some players in their quality of play in conjunction with teamwork. I hope to examine the more important aspects of alliance cohesion above that of tactics. The following is only theory, based on my humble opinion, and I welcome discourse along with the inevitable criticism.

NTW3 presents itself as a simulation of military conflict. The fundamentals of cause and effect apply to both historical conflicts and the simulated wargame. If you are well versed in Sun Tzu, Tacticus, and Von Clausewitz, then you need read no further. For NTW3 I list my five fundamentals in order of importance:

COMMUNICATION: The most critical facet in battle is communication between participants. Most importantly on the operational level; suggestions, opinions, force disposition, and all aspects of the battle must be available to all participants. On the tactical level; rapid decision making, advise, warnings, close support, and unit cooperation must be maintained through adequate communication. Communication is the foundation of teamwork.

COMMAND: Central command must be established to meet the goals of a plan. Proper command ensures unity of purpose and completion of schedules. Also necessary is the enforcement of plan execution and the authority to alter plans quickly. Very important and often overlooked, a commander must address the morale and the psychology of his subordinates. Confidence and motivation of the players is as important as that of the units themselves. Also, do not be an insubordinate subordinate; your commander has enough to worry about without arguing and lack of discipline.

PLANNING: Few battles are victorious without a plan, many battles are lost because of poor plan, and rare is the battle won with no plan, so I must add that a poor plan is better than no plan at all. Plans vary from rudimentary to ridiculously complex. The ability to think strategically takes practice and a little “grey matter.” One must incorporate terrain, timing, force composition, and skill levels of allies & enemies in order to formulate a plan, and sometimes be able to do this very quickly.

FLEXIBILITY: “Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change” - Confusious. Many may argue that I am not the wisest of men. Thus said I am not the stupidest of men either (although many may argue that as well) and I realize more often than not when some aspect of a battle is going wrong. One must make constant assessments of the situation and react accordingly. Look for opportunities to take advantage of the enemy and be aware where the enemy can take advantage of you. Vary from the norm whenever it is profitable. Avoid predictability. Change and change often.

EXECUTION: Entire libraries have been written on the subject of tactics. I will not delve into this ocean of conjecture and detailed hypothesis. What I will say is to know your capabilities and limitations and those of your allies and opponents as well. It may take several games to achieve this knowledge and there will always be newcomers. Stay aware of the advantages this fundamental can provide. Almost as important as one’s skill is the effective use of each ally’s abilities in relation to the plan, as well as the exploitation or avoidance of the opponent’s abilities. The balance of tactical skill and experience will always decide a battle provided both teams possess all other fundamentals of engagement.

Organize the first three fundamentals prior to the battle and be ready to adapt to changes. With these basics and a little skill, your effectiveness as a team should be greatly improved. The absence of any fundamental can greatly impede your chance of victory. If your team marches into battle without them then be prepared to write home to the widows of your fallen soldiers.

"I shall proceed from the simple to the complex. But in war more than in any other subject we must begin by looking at the nature of the whole; for here more than elsewhere the part and the whole must always be thought of together."
Carl von Clausewitz
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Re: Fundamentals Of Engagement

Postby [N]Jerniga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:04 am

Spoken like a true Marshall :nod:
[N]Jerniga

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:22 am

Great exposé sloop.
In my opinion the simpler the plan the better.

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]Avon Ulysses » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Nice post Sloop, lots of good advice there.
But nothing too specific.
'Illegitimi non carborundum'

[N]Avon Ulysses
Officer

Postby [N]Harout » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:21 pm

My investment into this community has been largely a waste of precious time but for one piece of writing.
Its Sloops comment to the moaning defeated:

"The four states of mind; aggressive, reactive, flight, and confuse, are all correlated with the four states of action; attack, defend, retreat, and disorder. The capacity of tactics is the execution of the action. The skill of strategy is the timing and choice of the actions. The art of command is the amalgamation of all states of mind and action. The pursuit of this art is victory."

I find myself holding this reply as an example of how an argument can be ended by touching upon its core subject. Its also better advice than the paragraph of writing above.
[N]Harout

Postby [N]Sloop » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:30 pm

...Harout, where did you dig that up from?
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Harout » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:35 pm

[N]Harout

Postby [N]Sloop » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Avon,

"Specific" would require volumes of explanation. This post is for newcomers who are not versed in multiplayer methods and as it stands my treatise is probably already too lengthy for most. [N] has always utilized the first three fundamentals with vicious success. On the other hand, the last two come with practice, instruction, training, or in some cases never at all. Flexibility and Execution are either learned, or as in my case, a gift from God.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Tactacus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 am

Although i may be coutning the years to retirement nowadays and my memory isn t what it was,i have to say sloop,i dont remember giving you a gift sloop.

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Return to The Tavern