GHETTO RULES

For introductions and general discussions

GHETTO RULES

Postby [N]Sloop » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:19 pm

The Ghetto rules are designed to create scenarios using larger formations to simulate certain tactics and maneuvers of the era.

Ghetto Rules

1) Unit size - Set on Ultra.

2) Funds - Set on Small.

3) Generals - All generals must be immediately be moved and grouped together anywhere on the rear red line and may not be moved thereafter. Targeting of generals with artillery is prohibited.

4) Squares - Squares are prohibited at all times.

5) Running - Running for all units is prohibited, skirmish mode must be turned off.

6) Instant Start - All players must start the game immediately upon entering the map screen.

7) Deployment of any unit is prohibited.

8) Victory Conditions - Multiple scenarios and victory conditions are possible as the players desire. Line of Communication rules are suggested however timed games will usually result in large forces being left at the end of the game. One optional rule is to assign LOC points for the destruction of the general units.

Discussion at the Lordz forum:
http://www.thelordz.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=15237&p=163555#p163555

Special thanks to Kester, [N], and friends for the development and testing of "Ghetto."
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Re: Ghetto Rules

Postby stilgar » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:24 am

Someone said rules?!

That is a very interesting proposition indeed. That set of rules could indeed result in a different and entertaing NTW3 game. Just a few comments, if I may.

Ultra for unit size could be an overkill: (i) risk of increased lag, even on small funds, and (ii) underpowered artillery. Large size might in the end do the trick.

No running (for both cav and infa, I suppose). Instant start. Love it!

No squares. Hmm, and no limits on nr of cav units?! On the other hand, cavalry cannot run as well (afaik see). So, this might work after all.
stilgar

Postby [N]Tactacus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Rules are for "Inhouse games" stilgar these wouldn t work as a community (as NBC found out to their cost).Also its impossible to buy lost of cav with these funds so there is no cav spam,in fact the only spam ive seen is conscripts which is what were looking for as well as 15 or 16 unit armies so no lag either.
After playing "ghetto rules" i have to say it s a totally different animal and im really interested in how it plays. Like a ntw2 and 3 hybrid.
£ generals at the back as LOC works really well,but its so hard not to double click or run after so long i failed at least twice,(hence why it wouldn t work as a community).No running cav against no squares works well even forming battalion squares looks neat.
Its really hard to get a balanced army with these funds though i struggle to get art,decent inf and cav.
Very interested in more though.

After my experience on the "Beer mat" campaign the other night i also have to say it was one of the best battles ive fought recently,HB maps worked really well with the set OOBs (after all HB and Classic stats really aren t that far apart anymore).Carrying the results of previous engagements with builds you wouldn t get normally in a classic random are the way forward for me.

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Postby stilgar » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 pm

[N]Tactacus wrote:Rules are for "Inhouse games" stilgar these wouldn t work as a community (as NBC found out to their cost).

Difficult to argue with that. I do not think anyone is on a quest for community rules anymore. So, I am also speaking exclusively about "house or host rules".

[N]Tactacus wrote: but its so hard not to double click or run after so long i failed at least twice,(hence why it wouldn t work as a community).

As long as it's about isolated incidents, should be fine, I suppose.

[N]Tactacus wrote: After my experience on the "Beer mat" campaign the other night i also have to say it was one of the best battles ive fought recently,HB maps worked really well with the set OOBs (after all HB and Classic stats really aren t that far apart anymore).

It does look like v4 will be even stronger turn towards HB stats and gameplay (weaker light cav., lower accuracy, shorter range (I've heard), all those objectives maps and LOC generals, etc.) Still, a framework of in-house rules/objectives and some guidelines/restrictions for making OOBs is required to bring battles to another level. I suppose we can agree on that, if even we might disagree on details.
stilgar

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:11 pm

The Ghetto Rules: Were originally created while playing Rome I and NTWII before most of you had pubic hair. The original rules were designed to facilitate huge armies of very poor “ghetto” troops. The recent interest has been spurred by Kester who fashioned the idea for NTWIII. [N] & friends are now play testing it and hope to refine it to some degree. Any outside testing and suggestions are appreciated. It is made to “feel” more historical than it is to accurately simulate a battle and the priority is simply to be an interesting change with an unconventional order of battle. Although not too serious or demanding, we hope the Ghetto Rules might provide the occasional alternative game or at least a break from the norm.

Other thoughts: The ultra formations seem to feel more like the formations of the day and are more able to withstand cavalry melee when out of square than smaller units. Ultra units are naturally deeper ranked and can replace losses in extended firefights. Line fights seem to last a little longer however I believe this is more due to lack of running and flanking. The average unit’s low moral will result in more chain routes, yet as there are so many men left in the routed unit many will soon rally. As in standard games, quantity usually wins over quality, so expensive units are rare. No running has reduced the “kiting” tactic and creates a different feel for the battle. No more light cavalry lighting strikes and micromanagement is much easier overall. The only running that is allowed occurs automatically during the last moment that a unit charges. Militia now becomes a viable option not only due to cost but they are now equally “square-less.” The general at the red line rule serves the purpose of creating a sort of headquarters LOC as well as removing the general’s effects from most of the battle. Artillery is highly effective against the ultra unit's mass formations but it is too costly to employ so perhaps a mandatory build rule should be added.

I personally prefer the standard game as it was designed to be played with no rules, however even a Marshal can occasionally be caught carousing among the taverns and back alleys of the Ghetto.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Tactacus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Yes forgot to mention how hard kiting can be when only walking is an option, you get caught in melee by superior inf and thats it so you have you think strategy earlier and theres no running over cav to save your ass, its very interesting and more strategic.make note of that avon, also skirmishers are more prevelent I took 4 .

Me
[N]Tactacus

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:02 pm

I would not say that Ghetto is more strategic, simply more strategic compared to the tactics available with these rules. Overall it is a simplified version of the original and requires a different type of thinking.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby stilgar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 am

Clear now, also the "ghetto" part. I would appreciate if you could post a replay of such a "ghetto party". Just curious to see that in action. Thanks.
stilgar

Postby [N]Tactacus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Latest ghetto instalment,
Im not sure timed,LOC would conclude in a death match you would always have a significant force left and you know what i like that.
So night drew in and i think sloops time won on the LOC method.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mdl4ske7c8frlqw/ghetto.replay.

Feels like a ntw2 ntw3 hybrid still to me. :nod:

Me
[N]Tactacus

Postby [N]Clinch » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:45 pm

It was an interesting way to play. VC enjoyed it so much that he issued mandate #472 stating all current progress on the mod be scrapped and replaced with ghetto rules type gameplay.
[N]Clinch
Officer

Return to The Tavern