For discussions of napoleonic games

Re: Gettysburg: Scourge of War

Postby [N]Clinch » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 am

Looks stupid! If Sparton can win...game isflawed
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [V]Sparton » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 pm

You're telling me. I just went in there pushed all 37 of the cool looking buttons and watched these men beat each other off. I mean up. Yeah, up. Anyways, a few minutes later I pushed a couple of more buttons, screamed at my monitor, and screamed like a little girl when those cannon thingys went off. Next thing I knew, BOOM! Victory!
[V]Sparton

Postby [N]Sloop » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:13 pm

196 men left from over 3000 deployed is unrealistic and historically impossible.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [V]Sparton » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:02 pm

Well no game is 100% historically accurate and this game doesn't claim to be. However, in the actual battle of Gettysburg, Pickett's division suffered 2,655 casualties (that is the closest figure they could come up with). So, in reality the number of casualties wasn't that far off from the historical casualties. Not to mention the fact that not all of the men that were considered "casualties" died. Some were captured and some were killed.
[V]Sparton

Postby [N]Sloop » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:30 pm

The high casualty rates in NTW3 may be incorrect but perhaps necessary in the context of the game and I was hoping for improvements in SOW. I am not sure what this "Pickett's" scenario presents so I can not be too critical. Historically the charge endured tremendous casualties even by ACW standards. Usually the men would break or leadership would intervene. However on many occasions even poor quality troops would suffer enormous casualties due to command incompetence. 1st Corps ANV was one of the most elite in the war and Virginians like Armistead would not retreat. This coulpled with Lee's incompetence and you have one of the bloodiest defeats of the war totalling about 60% losses yet Spartons victorious assault recieved well over 90% losses.

Garnett's Brigade- Present 1480: Killed 78, Wounded 324, Missing, 539 Total 941/539
Armistead's Brigade- Present 1650: Killed 88, Wounded 460, Missing, 643 Total 1191/459
Kemper's Brigade- Present 1575: Killed 56, Wounded 356, Missing, 317 Total 729/846
Division- Present 4705: Killed 222, Wounded 1140, Missing 1499, total 2861/1844

...as usual sources vary.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [V]Sparton » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:35 am

Yes but in context of a game where you can't be exact but you need to be thorough and fun this is quite acceptable. With something like 84 guns I think it was firing on me, an hour long session, and countless infantry regiments it seems perfectly acceptable to have those kind of casualties because not all of those were killed in battle. Some were shot while routing, some where killed in firing lines, some were killed in melee, some were captured, some were killed by the cannons, and some were victims of friendly fire (since there was 5,000 men all in small area maybe a tenth of the map). This is the ONLY scenario I have come across thus far that has had anything near that high of a casualty rate. In general, if I lose half of my men that is a crushing defeat where I just did absolutely horrible. I'd advise everyone (as Bill did) to try the demo. Playing all 6 tutorials will give you a good sense of how to play the game, how the game feels, the pace it goes at, and the general mechanics and tactics.
[V]Sparton

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:58 am

Game difficulty level will change casaulty rates and morale effects as well. Play the game on realistic and losses will be still high for this scenario but not as much. Most losses in this will be mia(capt) and wounded as the Confederate troops were pounded all the way to the wall then what was left were pounded all the way back to the start position. Losses were horrific.

Depending on settings and the situation regiments will break and run with very slight losses or they will stay and fight like demons. I think it gives an accurate representation. Also if sparton broke the losses down you could see just exactly what each brigade and regiment did.
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 am

Here you go Sloop since all the sudden you now need Historical accuracy :smile:

I commanded Caldwells Division.
Mission try to retake the Wheatfield

My command
Brig. Gen. Caldwell
3,212 men in four Brigades

losses for my command was: 323 men
54 killed, 239 wounded and 30 missing

Cross's Brigade 7 killed, 27 Wounded and 5 missing
Kelly's (Irish Brigade) 15K,71W & 14M
Zook's Brigade 17K, 57W & 11M
Brooke's Brigade 19K, 84W & 14 M

The Brigades of Brooke and Zook attacked on my right side and fought the longest in the battle just over an hour. Cross was sent in and secured a wooded hill in the center. He was able to fortify his position and held off two Confederate counter attacks. Kelly and the Irish made a mad dash across the Wheatfield and overran a understrenghts Brigade of Confederates at a stone wall. Kelly's Brigade took all of there losses in about 15 minutes of fighting to compare with Brookes losses that he took in an hour. Terrain and proper support is a must one wrong decision can slaughter your men.
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:49 am

For you Civil War guys like me, I found this video its very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84d5mt-- ... r_embedded
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Here you go Sloop since all the sudden you now need Historical accuracy
Yes, I "need" it to lessen the whining and complaints I have been listening to about a lack thereof.

Sparton; your wrong, your argument does not make sense.

Bill; now that looks accurate. Kelly’s brigade was quite good but small. His regiments were among the smallest of the entire battle being decimated in previous engagements, luck of the Irish. In campaigns I like to use him for skirmishing and delay actions.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Officer's Club