Gettysburg: Scourge of War

For discussions of napoleonic games

Re: Gettysburg: Scourge of War

Postby [N]Clinch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Watched the video that Bill posted and I have a couple questions 1)Is there no friendly fire deaths? I watched a unit pass right through another unit that was firing a volley and the friendly unit received no casualties. 2)Watched a close range volley and it didnt look like anyone got hit (reminds me of a crappy reenactment). Are shooting stats flawed or was it just my perspective? 3)Is there fog of war?
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26 pm

@ Sloop, yes the Irish was a pretty small Brigade. Fredricksburg and Antietam had decimated the Brigade. Some of its Regiments at Gettysburg were only 66 men strong.

Gents, to make it clear I do not want to replace NTW3. NTW3 is what brought us all together and is a game we all still love to play. I simply would like to see us as a clan branch out into other areas. I understand caution for this game. It is in my opinion a very good game with some excellent features.

@Clinch, the combat is more abstract than NTW3. What you see on the battlefield is a representation not an actual replay of events. There is not fratricide to my knowledge. Units shooting behind units will get a little marker on them letting you know that they are not effectivly shooting. Depending on terrain you can shoot over friendly units. Shooting stats are not flawed just not at 1:1 scale. As for fog of war the game has it depending on the difficulty settings. It axually has really good fog of war. If a unit is in the woods not moving you might not see it until you take a volley in the face. You can even have a regiment lay down behind a stone wall then rise up and deliver a nasty pouint blank volly.
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Clinch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:15 pm

[N]Bloody Bill wrote:. As for fog of war the game has it depending on the difficulty settings. It axually has really good fog of war. If a unit is in the woods not moving you might not see it until you take a volley in the face. You can even have a regiment lay down behind a stone wall then rise up and deliver a nasty pouint blank volly.

These things give me a stiffy :poundit: :grin:
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]Tarheel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 pm

@BloodyBill- have you tried HITS mode? Talk about the ultimate in FOW.

@Clinch - In SOW they have a function where your camera is locked on the commander of a brigadier general like Archer. They call it HITS, headquarters in the saddle. So essentially you can only see what the general actually sees. Also the courier system really makes this game stand out for me. To execute orders, couriers are sent out instead of instantly clicking a unit (which you can still do if you want). These couriers find there way to their intended recipient, but the clincher is that several things can happen to these couriers. They may wind up killed, captured (where the contents of the message are divulged to the enemy) or just lost, nothing is guarenteed. Also if playing with AI, when you send your orders they may ignore them depending on their level of expertise. An incompetent commander will ignore your orders completely, an aggressive commander may find it too hard to stand idly by while others get all the glory. This all adds to the historical feel that the game offers and truly takes fog of war to the next level.
Also on the multiplayer front, the courier system takes the game to a whole new level where you don't have the sophisticated teamspeak where you can coordinate with your teammates with clockwork precision. Here you must rely on the courier system which can be delayed or may not arrive at the intended destination or worse fall into enemy hands where the enemy will be privy to the message. Here is an example of HITS:

[N]Tarheel

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:12 pm

[N]Tarheel?...rings a bell.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Gents, to make it clear I do not want to replace NTW3. NTW3 is what brought us all together and is a game we all still love to play. I simply would like to see us as a clan branch out into other areas.

The Emperor and the High Command have no desire to abandon NTW3. The hope is that we branch out into similar types of strategy simulations and become more of a military simulation clan with the major emphasis on Real Time Strategy. We play NTW because we love history, the specific era, and we are all expert wargamers. Few, if any of us, will not adapt at new eras and better games, with slight changes in the aspects of role play (Velites will still polish the Emperor’s brass). In the interim we have the greatest RST ever produced and can only hope it is surpassed in the future.

It has only been since the arrival of NTW that our community grew enough to provide a base for a larger dynamic Napoleonic Clan. In the preceding years we were more of a private club competing within a small group of likeminded players. We have also been fortunate to have had a series of great Napoleonic RTS games to keep us enthused but this will probably change in the future. The Emperor’s hope is to augment NTW3 with other options keeping the [N] banner flying with the same high standards and elitism as always. Personally I love the [N] tag and regardless of where the distant future may take us I hope to always carry our beloved namesake.

So what are our choices? TS will always offer minor distractions such as zombies, tanks, and shooters, but we should also strive to find another RTS to master as a clan. SOW is probably the best for now. If it is inadequate then we will naturally shy away from it and migrate to better games. Let us hope that new games, such as Rome II will appear and perhaps fit our needs. Like on the battlefield we will plan for the future and be flexible as is necessary.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [V]Sparton » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:52 pm

[N]Sloop wrote:Sparton; your wrong, your argument does not make sense.

1.) It isn't an argument. I'm simply saying that this is a unique scenario where the casualties should be rather high.

2.) Were you sober when you read my post? Essentially I said a-There was a lot of artillery, a lot of infantry, and a lot of friendly fire. b-Not all of the men considered casualties were killed. c- This is a unique scenario and the only one I have come across with such ridiculous casualties. d - Everyone should play the demo to see if they like the game. I fail to see how it doesn't make sense. While the post is sporadic and rather jumpy it still seems to be comprehensible.

3.) (To Tarheel) You can also play a HITS style game by just setting the game to historical difficulty as it forces you to view the highest ranking unit under your control from an over the shoulder type view were you can not move your camera around. Also, if you select your general unit (commander) and just press F it does something similar.
[V]Sparton

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Sparton,
As explained, the casualties you sustained would be impossible, especially compared to the historical loss that was one of the highest examples of the war. Also, as previously provided, I am counting "all casualties" which by definition include all losses in battle. Unfortunately, as I am sober, I actually care about the opinion of a Velite, and to clarify "unfortunately," being both that I care, and that I am sober. Still the fact remains that you are wrong and your argument is senseless.

Now stop practicing on me...
"Now that school is here and FCA as well as LD Debate have started back up"...Sparton
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [V]Sparton » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 am

Is this an argument? I would like to be informed on what I am arguing before we continue. Was I wrong on any of the following points I listed on my previous post?
[V]Sparton

Postby [N]Sloop » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:12 pm

[V]Sparton wrote:Is this an argument? I would like to be informed on what I am arguing before we continue. Was I wrong on any of the following points I listed on my previous post?

Well, I am arguing, you are failing to argue. You did not provide adequate reason given in proof or rebuttal, your discourse while intended to persuade did in fact do the opposite, and you did not produce a coherent series of statements leading from a premise to a conclusion, or at least an accurate conclusion. Yes, you were wrong on many points and I will leave it to you to discern which ones as I have become bored of this argument.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Officer's Club