Re: Naval Action

Postby [N]Clinch » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:36 am

Yes!!!!! Our dreams have come true
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]Clinch » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:41 am

If you havent read this, do itLeading the battle
Naval Action has already introduced several important innovations and “firsts”:  wind backing force, proper tacking, carronades, long guns, short guns, realistic ballistics, mortars, leaks and many other things that make our game one of the most advanced Naval Warfare games in the world. Today we will talk about one feature that could further expand that lead. 

Leading a fleet is a hard task. Winning a battle requires a great admiral and a group of captains who are willing to listen to orders. Most naval warfare games provided a very shallow command and control structure before. We plan to change that in Naval Acton. Progression in Navy and Privateer Fleets (or other organized Naval Organizations) will depend on the following simple rule: Obey the Admiral. If you don’t obey Admiral or Squadron commander orders, you won’t progress in rank.

Here is how it will work.

Assigning commanders
Every battle (depending on size) will have 1-4 squadrons commanders. Commanders will be automatically assigned based on their win/loss ratios, battle rating and rank. All players will be allocated to commanders (unless they are already in a group). 

Giving orders
We plan to borrow an interesting mechanic - tactical arrows - from our first game:  Ultimate general Gettysburg. Kotaku named this mechanic - one of the most important innovations in military games.The unit follows the arrow exactly as you want it to. 

The commander will draw movement orders on the map. Not only subordinates will know what to do, but they will be provided with a path they could to take for better results.
Commander will always be able to track positions of his/her squadron and adjust orders accordingly. 

You might say that all this can be achieved more efficiently by voice. Well we played POTBS too. Voice is inefficient when you command more than 5 players and need to describe the best approach to target to everyone. In NA we will give a visual tool letting the admiral give an exact order; like Nelson would do it on a tactical map before a battle. 

Orders will have a time delay and sometimes will be received too late. Recognition and commander skill will reduce delays. Small ships and light frigates will play a crucial role in recognition of targets and will further reduce order delays by passing them between commanders (automatically) and distant squadron members. Small ships also could project bonuses over distance.

This system will also let our AI to become deadly without significant investments into coding - because players admirals will give commands to NPCs. Some admirals would prefer AI ships to players in their fleets. 

Orders
Orders will provide bonuses. Of course players will be able to take initiative, but fulfilling the order would be ideal course of action. Following a path drawn by admiral will provide a speed boost, firing at a marked ship will increase your damage and accuracy if you are in range from the command ship. Losing commanders in battle will be devastating. 

Motivation
Many games already provide bonuses for getting orders done. Battlefield 3 and 4 for example. 

In Naval Action players will receive AP (admiralty points) for getting orders done. AP points will help rank growth and will open access to Navy edition ships, guns and upgrades. 
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]Sloop » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:04 am

Quite amazing that they will create a reward system for obedient subordinates. This is amazing and will make the battles organized when playing with the rabble. Brilliant.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:59 am

interesting game mechanic.

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]Tactacus » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:03 pm

You can also level up by collecting cherrys,and occasionally a power up icon will appear randomly in the ocean if your ship is the first to collect this power up all enemy ships will be vulnerable to your ship,your speed increases two fold and if you ram an enemy ship it has to return to its deployment zone.
Also, you have the option of purchasing many "veteran status" add ons which include amongst others;

1,"The golden dragons of china",golden cannons imported from the far east no attribute increase but my god they look nice and shiny.
2."Lemon and lime" your crew have a quantity of lemon and limes on board which reduces your ships chance of scurvy."increases the hit points of your crew and you take less damage from close quarter grapeshot.
3."advanced technology" gives you the option to purchase the "ironclad" also gives the option of the "hollywood" camera angle where you never lose.
4."The skull and crossbones flag" Gives you the option of your crew having a modded parrott on each crew member,utterly useless but the bird shit on the shoulder shows the attention to detail in this game,FANTASTIC.
5."The letter of marque" a signed letter from sloop arriving with the hard copy of the game which you cannot buy,enjoy.
6."The sound of silence" an audio file which can be downloaded with clinch beating off whilst he describes how this game means you will never seek out a woman ever again but at the mere sniff of salty sea water you will ejaculate in your pants. " also comes with a free box of tissues and for the premium game adult nappys.
7."Bring out yer dead,dead man walking edition" your crew becomes a zombie crew who only need to collect random granola bars from enemy ships to power up and are level 99 on all boarding actions.

Finally every player who reaches experience level 100 will receive a free eye patch,a wooden leg and an empty bottle of rum free of charge,good luck my fellow seamen as it is estimated that to get from level 1 "the lowest" to level 99 " the highest" could take up to 4 hours of serious gameplay.
I for one cannot wait for the official release sometime in the future or if not by then no longer than a month later.

Tac.

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Postby [N]Clinch » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Douche
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]Sloop » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:07 pm

I would think that Tactacus, the greatest butt pirate of all time, would love this game.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Tactacus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:39 pm

I see the seawind is blowing very humourless lately..... ahhh well il just have to but it then.

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Next

Return to The Officer's Club