New Napoleonic game out "SOW Waterloo"

For discussions of napoleonic games

Re: New Napoleonic game out "SOW Waterloo"

Postby [N]Sloop » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:37 am

[V]Lancier wrote:Game will be very good after mods i think we used no chat but couriers only :>>
Would be interesting among honorable players but how can we trust the scoundrels that would secretly use TeamSpeak?
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Lancier » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:19 am

You are right sir, hard to prevent people use TS if they want to. But game has this feature so will be weird if they use it really when it was decided to use couriers only but no ts beforehand. Up to peoples conscience really to ruin the soul of the game or not.
By the way before battle we meet on sownc chat room if anyone available today another test meeting planed today:
20:30 BST (12:30 PDT, 14:30 CDT, 15:30 EDT, 19:30 UTC, 21:30 CEST , 22:30 EEST)

*KS nap mod 2 released may worth a try.
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby [N]Lancier » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:05 pm

KS mod details here:
http://sownapoleonic.freeforums.org/post67.html#p67

I plan to play with it if possible but not HITS as KS do.
Mod working good except 1-2 small problems (just got a package message during loading sandbox one but dont still know if it has any effects?) Uncle will look i think. Also Grogs toolbar is cool working with KS nap mod with no problem i guess.
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby [N]Lancier » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Scourge of War: Waterloo Marathon / 18 june 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7WEh2G ... HszYlSqZ_X
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:34 pm

The problem with SOW Waterloo is it feels as Nobsoft ported Gettysburg over and gave them Napoleonic uniforms and added some buildings that don't work onto the maps. It will get better when the modders take over but this was a big disappointment and feels it should be a Beta game at most.
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Lancier » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:02 am

It needs time really, patch probably then the mod. :.<
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby [N]Lancier » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Any moders ? ;>
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterl ... ease#68669
Norb wrote:SDK Pre Release
OK, this is just to help out until we can get a full installer with our tools. Many have asked for the files, so here they are. As well as the MyGUI tools that we built and the translated documentation. In the end we did a mix of using the tools and editing the xml directly. The skin editor was the toughest, as it messed up the files a lot, but the other tools were helpful. This is really a great product, as it worked very well once we understood what was going on.

There's not a lot of support for this. Jim is working on the docs, so it's use at your own risk. You should grab the SDK folder in the zip file and put that in your game directory. I think then the tools will work. They need access to their folders of resources.

Scourge of War Waterloo/SDK
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:02 pm

This is my post on the SOW forum for Waterloo. If any of you want the game I suggest waiting until it is modded or patched and fixed. I love the SOW series for the Civil War games they have a nice feel to them and are rather enjoyable. Waterloo is not. It really feels unpolished and carried over all the negative aspects of previous games with very little new added to make up for it.

It is very clear in his review that he is not a veteran SOW player. He does bring up some good points of frustration for new players. The game has a big learning curve and time is needed to get a good grasp upon structure and tactics.

That being said some of what he says about the AI is not off. I have played SOW for many years and play a lot of MP. SOW GB felt like a more solid game to me than Waterloo. The review is correct about AI adjusting to do strange things, in GB you can manage much easier and the AI seems to handle itself with more confidence.

I feel the pathing in WL is poor, units kinda go all over and do very strange twists and circle formations. In GB odd things did happen at times but was easy to sort out. In a lot of way WL has the feel of GB combat with Napoleonic uniforms.

The buildings are a nice addition but is strange to have a battalion march through the wall and not use the gate(visual issue only). I would of liked to have the option to charge into the fortified areas instead of only shooting.

Artillery is useless at range. I moved my entire I Corps in the attack on the allied center and sustained 4 losses by arty. When I got into 200 yards range I started taking losses and of course canister range. GB had the same problem with arty.

The new UI I am on the fence with. I like the Grog mod but do not like the normal. The changing of how the mouse works for scrolling is annoying when you play a lot of GB still. Switching between the two is irritating.

Being a Veteran of the game series with 1000s of hours played I would have to say Waterloo visually is wonderful, gameplay not so much. Not complete feeling to me.

I would have to recommend to my gaming clan to keep playing GB series of games and the Napoleonic mod for GB and wait for WL to be either patched and completed or modded before adding it to the clan games.
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Lancier » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Tomorrow we will check the KS mod if anyone interested:
http://sownapoleonic.freeforums.org/post110.html#p110
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby Lepic » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:32 pm

i will be watching yes as very interested to see how this dev's ???
You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war
Lepic

PreviousNext

Return to The Officer's Club