Steam’s In-Game Overlay shows the Game’s FPS(Frames Per Sec)

For technical help

Steam’s In-Game Overlay shows the Game’s FPS(Frames Per Sec)

Postby Lepic » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Valve recently added an FPS counter to Steam’s in-game overlay. You can enable this feature by clicking the Steam menu, selecting Settings, choosing the In-Game category, and picking a position for the In-Game FPS Counter.
Look at the corner of the screen you chose while playing a game and you’ll see the FPS counter. It always appears on top of the game itself, but it’s fairly small and unobtrusive.
You may be able to get this feature working for non-Steam games, too. Add one to your Steam library by clicking Games > Add a non-Steam game to my library. Launch the game through Steam and the overlay may work with it, depending on the game.
You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war
Lepic

Re: Steam’s In-Game Overlay shows the Game’s FPS(Frames Per

Postby [N]Tactacus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:52 am

Could this be used in ntw3 to see who the big laggers are?at last?

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Postby Lepic » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:44 pm

recently the culprits could not be identified and therefore games were unplayable due to this
they for sure no its them but continue to join games which removes the fun for everyone else
they need to be politely asked to leave
i feel that strongly about these players and their very ungentlemanly behaviour

the other day i had internet as well as power issues and declined all offers to join games
it would not been right as well as very unfair when i know its highly likely i will drop

note
The counter is part of Steam's overlay, and thus won't show up in screenshots taken within Steam (default key F12).
For this Steam Overlay you need to be running the Beta client.
You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war
Lepic

Postby [N]Lancier » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Done that thanks.
Also on interface section, there is enable hardware video decoding. Never seen that till now? is disabled.
Also downloads section, allow downloads during gameplay is unchecked ^^
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby Lepic » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Steam In-Home Streaming
To stream gaming content from your main gaming rig, to a lightweight, low-power and importantly cheap client system in your living room.
The intial setup is extremely simple and easy to do. Simply install Steam on both the Gaming rig and the Client machine, and log into them both on the same network.
Go to Settings > In-Home Streaming and tick Enable streaming
From this area, I recommend you defaulty select the Balanced option under Client options
Go into Advanced Host Options and tick Enable hardware encoding, this is what will kickstart the NVidia, QuickSync, or DXVA encoding on the Gaming rig.
Go into the Advanced Client Options set the Limit bandwith to Automatic (recommended). After all my testing with bandwidth settings, it seemed to be the best. DO NOT set it to unlimited, as for some obscure reason it just bloats the network connection and causes some major lag. If you have a solid Gigabit backbone running to each node on the network, feel free to try it out.
Set the Limit resolution to whatever your Client machine is hooked up to. In my case it was a 1080p TV.
Also tick Enable hardware decoding to kickstart the NVidia, QuickSync or DXVA decoding, again, as it's vastly quicker and superior in this instance to software.
Only untick Hardware encoding/decoding if using an exceptionally strong CPU on both Host and Client (i7, 8350)
For general monitoring and troubleshooting, tick the Display performance information box

Allow downloads during gameplay:
If you have this box unchecked, steam will NOT download updates while you are in game, you will notice any downloads pause as you start a game. Previously steam did this by default, this option allows you to opt in to downloads while you are playing games (if you feel your bandwidth is sufficient to handle both the requirements of the game and downloading).
Lepic

Postby [N]Sloop » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Oh yea, I understand, computer things and stuff.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby Lepic » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:22 pm

do you need help?
if i can am willing to assist
Lepic

Postby [N]Tactacus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:05 am

Sloop has always required help,it works well.

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Postby Lepic » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:30 am

glad to know he is in safe hands sir
Lepic

Postby [N]Sloop » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:43 am

Lepic wrote:

do you need help?
if i can am willing to assist

I am sure you can help Lepic. whether or not I let you is a different matter.
As for needing help, yes, however I doubt your a qualified psychologist.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Mairie