HELP!!!

For technical help

HELP!!!

Postby [N]Tactacus » Wed May 11, 2011 12:59 pm

Well i may as well try you guys as ive run out of ideas.
So came home one day and the little globe thing for internet connection was missing,no connection,it brings up ,reset router,try switchin on and off and also try another option.
So i tried a few things and intermittantly it would work then drop after bout 30 mins.
on the old router the lights would work as normal but still this bloody yellow triangle on my connection,the old router says local connection the new one says limited connection,im not using wirless.
My skills on the pc are basic to say the least so i think i have 2 options here,
1,take my pc to the china man and see if he can get a connection with my pc to count that out of the equation.
2,get my supplier to come out but this will take ages and if its my pc wont solve the problem.

Moneys tight so if i need a new pc i might as well quit lol,i have a feeling whilst trying to fix it i have deleted something although i cannot track it down,when i follow some instructions it says go to local connection but i dont have that mine just says broadband is this right? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Hopefully
Marshal Tac

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Re: HELP!!!

Postby [N]Rakker » Wed May 11, 2011 2:41 pm

Some other option perhaps wich i should try first, as my money is also low :cool: .

Invite a friend with a laptop and let him connect to your router with his own internet cable. If he is able to connect to the www then the problem is somewhere in your pc software or hardware) or your cable. If you use his cable to connect your pc to the router you can eliminate maybe your pc too.

This way you can pinpoint the problem more directly. At the cost of only a few cups of coffee/thea or a few bottles beer and a nice evening in good company :up:
"Mon General, we are surrounded..." "Magnifique!, Now we can shoot at them in every direction."
[N]Rakker

Postby Somerset » Wed May 11, 2011 3:13 pm

or go and buy yourself a nintendo wii and forget about ntw3 and internet :grin:
..hope you come back as soon as possible mate. :smug:
Somerset

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Wed May 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Tactacus, tell me when you will be at home and able to talk around 8-9 pm CST so GMT -6 that would be 2-3 Am for you. I can fix it for you, nothing beyond what i have seen before. From what you are saying it seems that your router is not reserving a specific ip adress for your pc on the home network. So if a neighbor's pc or any other thing that can connect to the internet connects to your network it might take that ip adress and drop you off, that would explain the bump after 30 min. I used to have a problem like that before, it is easily fixed. i just need to guide you through it. Probably the GF's laptop bumps you off the router ip adress lol. As far as limited connection goes, you need to reset your network adapter.

What router do you have?

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]Tactacus » Wed May 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Something smells fishy here vc cos that sounds to much like what happened.now I think bak it was like someone else had connected and I got booted.then after 30 mins therafter or so I'd get booted.my definate 1st thought was sum1 is tapping in.I'll let u know when I'll be in probs fri.thanks guys already tried that rakker mate no joy.

Me
[N]Tactacus

Postby [N]GoldSabre » Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 pm

its time to spy on the Jones'. My router firm/software tells me who's connected in more detail than windows
The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.- Tolstoy
[N]GoldSabre

Postby [N]Clinch » Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 am

Somethins fishy alright! Hmm...Tac goes missing, Bin Laden dead. Tac looks like that 007 type perhaps SEAL TEAM 6?
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]Markuz » Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 am

have you called you internet supplier? They can check the line to see if it is damaged or playing up. mine is with virgin and they found out that the cable was damaged, I realised it must have happened when some workmen dug our footpath up in the street.

have you plugged your ethernet cable directly to your modem, if that works then you may have a router issue.

When you want to get a new ip address connection unplug the cable from the pc and switch the router and modems off for a minute or so. Then try again.

I have a good router that I can't use as its ADSL through the phone line, my mum bought the wrong type a while back. you can have it for £25 if youre ADSL. Its wireless N so it has huge range. Brand new.
[N]Markuz

Postby [N]Tactacus » Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 pm

I use a wird connection markuz,theyve tested the line everything seems ok 17 mb or whatever it is.Now call me silly but i thought i could pull the wire out of the router and plug it str8 into the phone socket to negate the router but i cant as there is a filter from the router to the phone socket which has a different connection then the ethernet connection.
Im with sky btw the thing thats bugging me is this,the old router when used has all the lights as they should be but there not flashing so no information is being transferred.When i go to manage connections the old router has a connection to the unidentified network but it has no connection to the internet.If i try the old there is no yellow triangle so its like its trying to connect but something is stopping it.
If i try the new router then i only get the power light coming on and it wont even connect to the unidentified network nver mind the internet itself.
So .... im gonna phone my provider up tonight on my return from work and go through it with them one more time,then if thats no good il try VC fri night then if thats no good im going to retire.......

Me
[N]Tactacus

Postby [N]Fullin » Thu May 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Have you mess with the VCI and VPI numbers?
[N]Fullin
Ambassador

Next

Return to The Mairie